Thursday, January 19, 2017

Visceral Response


This image is from one of my favorite films, The Dark Knight. Now while an image from a film might be somewhat more convenient to use in making a case for what Richard Seymour calls stupefying, I consider this image, stripped of any music, sound, and other inclusive mediums, to be an amazing work of art that tells so much in just one frame.

The Dark Knight stands alone, dramatically with his cape in the air. But it is not a heroic pose. It is one of defeat. The building structure next to him is broken and crumbling. The place is on fire, the bright yellows and oranges contrasting sharply with the blue color temperature of the rest of the space. Ever since I first saw this film, I have been struck by this image. It's composition and suggested breakdown of structure matches the themes of the film. It occurs at a point in the film when hope seems least likely and evil looks to prevail. It shows Batman's inner struggle in a way pages of dialogue could never do.

My visceral response is not necessarily one of sadness, although the sad strings and the tone of the film at that point is very sad... but rather I feel loneliness. I get this feeling in my gut, a feeling as if I am standing in that very wreckage, feeling as if the entire world is against me. It has been a very strong feeling ever since I first saw this image. It is beautiful and haunting but upon first viewing I couldn't tell you why.

No comments:

Post a Comment